Victorian Era Curved Glass Display Case by Curtis, Leeds, England

Victorian Era Curved Glass Display Case by Curtis, Leeds, England

2,650.00

38H” x 60W” x 24D”

A beautiful curved glass and mahogany mercantile cabinet, circa 1890, made by John Curtis and Son, Shop Fitters, Leeds, England. It was likely designed to display jewelry and silver ware as it includes six removable, purple felt-lined trays. The cabinet comes in two pieces, with open shelves in the lower portion. Glass on three sides, mirrored back panels, and brass hardware complete this luxury unit.

Curtis Furniture

1852 – John Curtis & Son Ltd established. John William Curtis, a cabinetmaker, established a shop fitting business in Bond Street, Leeds. Due to his strong work ethic and excellent craftsmanship, the company prospered in the booming economy of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

John William was succeeded by his son of the same name – and in 1894 the company moved to larger premises on the corner of Wade Street and Wade Lane, Leeds. Here the shop fitting business was further developed to include architectural woodwork. During this period the son of John Curtis II, John Wilfred, joined the business.

1925 – Curtis moved to York Road

In 1925, the company moved premises to York Road, Leeds – where it stayed until 2013.

Add To Cart